Each season, UNEMSA enters a number of teams into the Trimester 1 volleyball and twilight soccer competitions. UNEMSA subsidises registration fees, and recently, we have had an increased interest in these sporting teams. If you are interested in joining, head over to the sport page of our website to find out more.
First Incision is an annual cocktail party held by UNEMSA to welcome in the new year. The night begins with talks from our sponsors in the school of rural medicine and then moves to the Booloominbah, the historic University of New England homestead, where students can meet sponsors as well as other students from all year groups. Click here to read more about First Incision and view photos from past events.
After a long and well deserved break, our third year medical students have resumed classes, embarking upon another chapter of their study of medicine. Our fourth and fifth year students have started their clinical sessions too, and along with the third years, are scheduled to have a nice relaxing month by themselves before the on-campus Orientation week starts for the new first years on the 13th of February.
Following this, official classes will start on the 27th of February for the first and second years. We look forward to seeing all UNEMSA members refreshed, rejuvenated and ready to face another year of studying medicine in 2017, and we'll make sure that everyone has a chance to enjoy themselves along the way.
1st and 2nd Years: Start of Semester 1.
- All : Volleyball skills night.
- Where? Campbell Hall, Sport UNE
- When? 6pm
- 2nd Year Mentors Only: Information Session
- Where? Med Common Room
- When? 12pm.
- 2nd Years: MD Information Session
- Where? Med Common Room
- When? 11:30 am
- FREE PIZZA!
- 1st Years: Survivng Med Night
- Where? PBL Rooms
- When? 5:30 start for BBQ.
- More info: Event page
- 3rd Years: MD Information Sessions
- Where? Med Common Room
- When? 11:00 am
- FREE PIZZA!
- All: Volleyball competition registration due.
- More information : Volleyball
- All: First Incision!
- Where? Booloominbah Collection
- When? 1st years: 6:00 pm start at P1.
- When? Everybody else : 7:30 start at Bool.
- All: Park Run
- Where? Sport UNE
- When? 8am start.
- More info: Park Run
Welcome freshers and welcome home everyone else!
To start off the year, come along for cocktail drinks and canapes at 'Bool on the 26th of Feb. First Incision is always a great opportunity to 'scrub up' and meet the new members of the Armidale JMP cohort.
1st years will start at the School of Rural Medicine at 18:00 with a few presentations from sponsors, but the real party will kick off at 19:30 at Booloominbah. Tickets are available now and can be purchased here.
Check out the Facebook event page and make sure to let us know you're attending! We look forward to seeing you there!
Med Ball 2015 is almost here, and tickets are now on sale. Be sure to come along - it's always a fun night filled with friends, food and plenty of fluid. Get your tickets here - UNEMSA member prices are $77 and non-members are $87. All proceeds are charity donations to the Armidale Hospital. Deets:
When - May 16th @ 6:30pm Where - Armidale Bowling Club Who - medical students, staff and local health professionals (as well as any +1's!)
P.S. - Got a talent? Do you want to share it with the world? Why not perform at Med Ball?! We are currently looking for acts to perform on the night. Both solo and group acts are encouraged. If you're interested, or would like more information, contact Paloma Ghosal before the 5th of May.
P.P.S. - want to jam out to your favourite tune on the night? Submit your requests here!
We bombarded you a bit at lifesaver day, but it was really cool to meet some of you! Here are the four things to get you started at UNE:
- First Incision & UNEMSA Membership ($55), 6 March: buy online to save dosh at the door! This is our cocktail party thrown to welcome you guys to Armidale. Probably the second classiest event of the year, it’s definitely not one to miss! Membership will give you access to all of the PASS sessions and OSCE days throughout your degree, as well as countless free pizza and social events. Click here
- O’Camp ($105), 13-15 March: Ocamp is one of my fondest memories of first year. 60 of your new friends all on a bus to the beach to enjoy the last warm rays of sunshine you’ll be seeing for a while. And you get to hand out with UoN kids, which I guess is alright. Click here
- Hoodies ($45): we have awesome UNE Med hoodies for sale! We are doing an order in March, so get in quickly if you would like your hoodie in time for Winter Click here
- Mentoring: this one’s free! We need your details so that we can organise you into small groups for mentoring sessions in the first few weeks. This will help you to settle into university life, meet some second and third year students and learn how to do med! Click here
Hi guys! UNEMSA Hoodies are now ready to be ordered for $45. See the attached photo for sizing (sizes in cm and are measured on the front on a hoodie lying flat), and then buy:
- Here via the PayPal 'Buy Now' button, or
- Manually by sending an email to email@example.com, or
- Through the UNEMSA app shop (search UNEMSA on the app store or google play - shop functional in a few days)
Please place your orders by March 1st so we can get them out to you in time for Winter!
Hey guys! End of Year Dinner is coming up. $20 for dinner and drinks at Servies, and we'll be running awards again, as always (voting will be up closer to the event). Hope to see you there!
RSVP here: http://goo.gl/2Eys67
Bank transfer to: Account Name: UNEMSA
Account Number: 1035 8582
Account Description: First Initial, Surname, EOYD (E.g. MTay EOYD)
For more details, please contact Monica Tay.
To assist the Red Cross, the Australian Medical Students' Association's blood drive, the Vampire Cup, has been extended by two weeks until Monday September 8th! This means you not only have a chance to help the red cross in its time of need but also to win the Vampire Cup for UNEMSA!
To make an appointment: https://www.donateblood.com.au/ready-to-donate/make-appointment
Don't forget to register your donations with UNEMSA: https://www.donateblood.com.au/who-can-give/club-red/join-group
AMSA wants to know what your opinions are. Please fill out this survey. It’s a little bit long but there’s great prizes up for grabs, including a $200 credit card, a $100 credit card and an Oxford Handbook of Clinical Medicine.